I have recently been preoccupied with a New Year’s resolution: completely ripping my entire CD collection. Jen is now completely sick of the little “bee doo dee” sound iTunes makes when a CD is finished. I am glad to be almost done with this process, it’s pretty much a pain in the butt — the time it takes to rip a CD is not quite short enough to just wait for each one to finish, but it’s too short to actually switch mental gears and do something else!
However, one thing that has been nice is that it has reintroduced me to music I have that I love, but really haven’t listened to, simply because it’s easier to listen to the subset I already had on my PC.
Andy’s Top 5 Lost Gems (now no longer lost)
- Vangelis – Blade Runner: This CD is an amazingly powerful synth masterpiece that I listened to probably 100 times in college.
- Cannonball Adderley – Mercy, Mercy, Mercy: a great, fun jazz album. My collection tends to be pretty Coltrane/Davis heavy. I wish I had more fun stuff like this, though.
- Kylie Minogue – Fever: Can’t Get You Out Of My Head is an amazing track. There are some other good ones on here, too. Disco = cheezy fun!
- Autechre – Tri Repetae++: Autechre before they went off the deep end into unlistenability.
- Beastie Boys – Check Your Head: Much love for all the tracks on here. My personal fave has to be Professor Booty, simply for the first 20 seconds.